Essie DJ Play That Song Neon 2013

1:33 AM

Hello!
I hope you all had a nice weekend!
Today I have swatches of Essie DJ Play That Song (Neon 2013) collection! I received them  as part of my essie girl prize. This collection is made of 6 neon polishes but essie forgot to send me Bottle Service, a medium hot pink. So keep in mind that there is one more shade in this collection.

Essie suggest to wear them over white to bring their neon-side out even more. That's what I did for the first polish I've tried (Bouncer It's Me) but I know a lot of people don't like wearing a white base so I swatched the others without it to see how they behave on their own. They dry to a semi-matte finish.
Bouncer It's Me - "muscles, lists, velvet ropes? no problem. gain entry and instant recognition in this intensely vivid blue polish that’s your ticket in."

I used 2 coats over white and 1 coat of top coat.
Bouncer It's Me is a bright electric blue jelly. It's quite sheer and seemed to take a bit longer than regular polishes to dry
I expected the formula to be aweful considering the reviews I had read about it but sincerely it was not that bad for me. Also note that I have the European version of the polish, wich means the brush is wider (à la Lancôme). So it might be a reason why it made application easier.
It's so bright and pretty, I really love this! I've already worn it as a full manicure but I want to wear it again ;)



DJ play that song - "infectious grooves. killer backbeat. pump up the volume in the jammiest neon plum polish that gets everyone on their feet."
I used 2 coats plus top coat.
DJ play that song is a red toned bright purple. Super pretty! Formula was nice.


Shake your $$ maker - "light up the fashion scene in this electric green nail color and shake, strut and sashay your way up the ladder of $uccess."
I used 3 coats plus top coat.
Shake your $$ maker is a bright grass green jelly. It's the sheerest of the collection but you get almost full opacity at 3 coats. You can see a little bit of visible nail line on the pictures but it was not visible in real life. It has the same kind of formula as Bouncer it's me.




Saturday disco fever - "your temperature is rising and the only cure is a night on the town and this superhot fire coral polish. doctor’s orders."
I used 3 coats plus top coat.
Saturday disco fever is a very bright orange jelly. It was almost opaque in 2 coats but I used 3 here to be sure it would look pretty on close-up pictures. I also noticed it took more time to dry than regular polishes because when I applied top coat, it dragged some of the polish away.




Boom boom room - "feel like dancing the night away in the hottest boîte in town? This ultrabrightpink polish is your passport to party paradise. Boom!"
I used 3 coats plus top coat. 2 coats would have been enough to reach full opacity but an additional coat was necessary to smooth everything out. Formula was a bit thick but not difficult to work with. This color is quite surprising since it's a baby pink but super bright!






Overall, that's a very bright collection and I love the colors. You can layer them over white if you want them to pop more but I don't think that's necessary. They already look quite bright on their own. I had heard a lot of mixed feeling about the formula of these polishes but sincerely they are not that bad at all. That's true that the blue and the green are a bit sheer and drying time is a bit longer than usual but the colors are so delicious that I don't think that's such a big issue. My favorites are Bouncer It's Me and Shake Your $$ Maker!


Purchase info
Essie polishes can be purchased from autorized retailers. You can find a list of stores that sell Essie in Switzerland here. You can follow Essie Switzerland on Facebook and the essie girls HERE.
*Product(s) in this post was(were) sent for my honest review*



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe