Benton Papaya-S Sun Cream

11:12 PM




Hi everyone,

Here I am with a new review of a product from the Korean brand Benton. I reviewed in July their new Cacao Moist and Mild Cream (here) and today it's all about their new sunscreen: the Papaya-S Sun Cream SPF50/ PA++++. For information, last month Benton released another sunscreen: the Papaya-D Sun Cream SPF38 / PA+++.  The "D" sunscreen is for "daily" use while the "S" sunscreen is best suited for outdoor activities ("S" stands for Sport).







What we can see immediately is that it has a SPF50 and PA++++. SPF50/PA++++ is the maximal rating you can get for a sunscreen, which means it will offer a good sun protection for UVB (cf SPF) and UVA (cf PA).
Note that if you want to get that high protection, you will need to apply enough sunscreen, i.e. 2 mg/cm² of skin, and you shouldn't rub it but rather pat it in. The best is to apply a first layer let it dry and then apply a second layer. 




CLAIMS
"Benton’s Papaya-S Sun Cream is Benton’s second physical & chemical suncream designed for outdoor activities. Papaya-S Sun Cream has the highest sun protection factor available in Korea, SPF50+ / PA++++. Mixed with chemical and physical sunscreen agents, the suncream effectively blocks both UVA and UVB, and helps to protect skin from external stressors. Also, niacinamide and adenosine in the formula help to achieve a bright and smooth complexion."



HOW IT LOOKS / FEELS / SMELLS
This is a rather liquid milky sunscreen but it still has some body to it. It's in-between a watery and a creamy sunscreen I would say. 
When applied, it spreads easily but I can feel that it has a rather strong grip on my skin. I mean it's spreadable but not as spreadable as a "skincare cream". 
On me, there is a white cast but it's not annoying as it's minimal for my skin type/color. I guess that if you're darker than mac NC20, you will see the white cast more.
It as a pepper-geranium scent but it's not strong and it doesn't linger on the skin.




INGREDIENTS
Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Water (43%), Titanium Dioxide, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Zinc Oxide, Octyldodecanol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Glycerin, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Aqua (Water), 1,2-Hexanediol, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Magnesium Sulfate, Beeswax, Aluminum Hydroxide, Dimethicone, Propanediol, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Carica Papaya Seed Oil(5000ppm), Glyceryl Caprylate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Panthenol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Beta-Glucan, Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract (750ppm), Xanthan Gum, Xylitylglucoside, Anhydroxylitol, Xylitol, Adenosine, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Bud Extract, Disodium Adenosine Triphosphate, Papain(100ppm), Algin, Glucose, Geranium Maculatum Oil





This sun cream contains 5 UV filters: Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide, 2 mineral/inorganic filters and 3 chemical filters. In the table below I listed the UV protection for each filter and as you can see the Papaya-S sunscreen offers a protection on the whole UV spectrum. This is therefore a "broad spectrum" sunscreen.

Name
Protection
Max conc.
Titanium Dioxide
UVB                + UVA2
25%
Zinc Oxide
UVB + UVA1 + UVA2
25%
Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate
UVB
7.5%
Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate
(aka Uvinul A Plus or DHHB)
                           UVA2
10%
Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine
(aka Tinosorb S)
UVB + UVA1 + UVA2
10%

Interestingly you can notice the presence of Tinosorb S. This UV filter is excellent as it protects from UVB, UVA1, UVA2. There aren't that many UVA filters that's why Tinosorb is interesting. By the way Tinosorb is approved in Europe and in Korea but not in the USA. VanityRex has written something about it if you want to know more (click here).

In addition to the UV filters, the Papaya-S Sun Cream contains Papaya Fruit Water (43%), papaya seed oil (5000ppm), papain (100 ppm), and papaya fruit extract (750ppm).
Papaya is a good source of ascorbic acid (vitamin C), β-carotene and licopene, 2 antioxidants (1). I've seen a few articles that talked about the effects papaya has on skin. In this article (2) was discussed the use of papaya in the treatment of chronic ulcers (healing promotion) and here (3) you can learn about the traditional use of papaya in Papua New Guinea to treat skin problems such as rashes or sun burns. It is also believed to decrease age spots.
Papya contains also an important enzyme, papain (it's a proteolytic enzyme). Note that papain is extracted from the latex of the papaya tree and fruit and allergies are possible (4). Papayin also has anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibacterial properties and has been shown to heal minor injuries faster (5). Papain is also effective in exfoliating the skin.

The papaya seed oil and sunflower seed oil as well as the beewax and shea butter make this sunscreen pretty emollient. Morever Octyldodecanol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate and C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate are also emollients.

You can also note the presence of niacinamide. Nacinamide can improve skin’s elasticity, enhance its barrier function, stimulate microcirculation, help erase discolorations, and revive skin’s healthy tone and texture. It is also able to treat an uneven skin tone and to mitigate acne and the red marks it leaves behind.



THOUGHTS / SUMMARY
For reference, I usually use 100% mineral/inorganic sunscreens and don't use chemical sunscreens. I have normal to slightly combination skin and a light skin tone.
In terms of consistency, it's quite easy to spread across the skin and it doesn't pill or acts weirdly under makeup. Also it doesn't make my face greasy. It feels moisturizing but not heavy or greasy. That's why I like using it. It does have a white cast. On me it's not obvious and it actually makes my skin a bit more even. In fact you could consider it as a "tone up" cream (this type of creams seem super popular in Korea at the moment by the way), but again if you have darker skin, I don't think it will work for you.
As it's called Papaya-S Sun Cream, I'm happy to see all the papay extracts in it (fruit water, seed oil, fruit extract, papain). Papaya is interesting because it contains vitamin C and antioxidants plus it has been reported to be antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Also present is niacinamide, an amazing skincare ingredient. So yes, in addition to the UV filters (UVA and UVB), it contains skincare ingredients, which is great.
Finally I also appreciate the high UV protection (SPF50 / PA++++) which is compatible with outdoor activities, but don't forget to use enough and reapply throughout the day!
I will happily use up the tube but I'm not sure if I will repurchase it, not because I don't like it (it's a very decent sunscreen imo) but because I'm more a 100% mineral sunscreen kind of girl :)



Purchase Info
If you're looking for Switzerland-based retailers for K-beauty products, you can purchase from Ebeautyandcare.ch and Niasha.ch.


*Product provided by Benton for review purpose* 

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. It's too bad it leaves the white cast! The ingredients look awesome, but yeah, as someone with more medium skin I don't want to look chalky =).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingredients are pretty good, I agree! I actually like when they add some beneficial ingredients, especially soothing ones in sunscreens!

      Delete
  2. Which 100% mineral sunscreens do you like best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used many tubes of Innisfree triple care and considered it my HG sunscreen for such a long time but recently I decicded to try others to show some options on the blog. That's why I started using Too Cool For School Mild Cica Sun lotion and I must say that I love it. I would say that the Innisfree is more creamy and the TCFS is thinner (lotion type) and the white cast is non existent with the TCFS while it's minimal for the Innisfree. I've tried others but they weren't as good in terms of formula as these 2.

      Delete
  3. Great review, I love how you broke down each of the ingredients too! I actually don't mind the white cast as I find it has a slight brightening effect, so I'll add this sunscreen to my list of products to try in the future :)

    Jenny | Geeky Posh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that! That's true that sometimes the white cast can look not bad depending on your skin undertone (maybe it looks better for cool-toned skin, although I'm not sure. Are you also cool-toned?). Thanks for reading ;)

      Delete
  4. So informative, as usual of course - this is why I love your blog so much! Obviously for the photography too! xx I've worked with Benton a few times and was also sent the Cacao mild and moist cream for review in July and loved it. I like the sound of the fact that it evens up skintone - something I really need! x
    Marina x
    http://marinawriteslife.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you so much!! I also love the Cacao cream! Happy to hear you also like benton! thanks again!

      Delete
  5. I love the inclusion of the Papaya in the ingredients. I don't know if I could use it everyday as it has a white cast and I would look like a sportsperson on the cricket ground. Haha. But great review. And thank you for the explanation on how to apply sunscreen. I honestly didn't know that!

    Lubz || http://lubzsays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! Yes for some reason, I think we all tend to apply not enough sunscreen ;)

      Delete

Flickr Images

Subscribe